I've been so inspired to cook as of late! Between the incredible food I ate while in Montana [still need to share all about that soon!] to the 'food tour' I recently went on while in Asheville for a friend's wedding [head to my Instagram if you want to see photos of my food travels!], I've been eating well, if too much :) I've also found myself back in the habit of watching chef driven food shows during dinner [currently making my way through Mind of a Chef on Netflix] which is only pushing me to think more creatively when I cook and step outside of my usual food routines. This recipe, cobbled together from a few different websites and given my own little spin was particularly unique to my usual cooking style, but it was a refreshing change! It's also surprisingly simple and quick to make, but comes off as a really elevated dish. The thai coconut poaching liquid is divine and worth making alone!
COCONUT POACHED COD WITH RED LENTIL CURRY
RED LENTIL CURRY: [adapted from Pinch of Yum]
- 2 ½ cups red lentils
- 5 cups water
- 2 tablespoons red curry paste [I use Patak's Original]
- 2/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon cayenne
- 2 teaspoons curry powder [I used Madras curry powder]
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup [or sugar]
- lime juice
- Chives for garnish
- Bring water to a boil, add lentils and cook for 10 minutes uncovered, stirring frequently. Remove from heat. Add the remaining ingredients and stir until combined. Taste and season with lime, extra salt if needed and chives for garnish. This can be made ahead and stores well throughout the week. You can always add a small amount of coconut milk when reheating if you prefer a creamy texture.
COCONUT POACHED COD [adapted from Taste]
- 1.5 cups coconut cream [it's more indulgent than milk, but worth it for this recipe!]
- Grated zest and juice of one lemon
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons Sriracha
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 16oz cod, cut into 4 filets
In a large frying pan, combine coconut cream, lemon juice and zest, fish sauce and brown sugar, sriracha and garlic cloves. Bring to the boil on high, stirring frequently.
Reduce heat to low and add cod. Simmer gently, covered for 8-10 mins until fish is opaque and flakes when tested with a fork.
Plate a serving of lentils in a bowl, add a filet and spoon over as much of the poaching broth as you'd like!
TIP: with the leftover broth, thin it with some water and it becomes the perfect base for a tom kha gai [thai coconut] soup!