I was having a bit of writers block and whenever that happens, I find answering random questions to be weirdly helpful. I'm not sure if a question will spark interest or help me develop a new idea, but they seem to force my brain to think about something else, something other than what's on my mind and taking up my current headspace. I filled one of these out last year. They're nothing of profound meaning or consequence, but the process does seem to sort out my thoughts. Maybe this will help you get to know me, maybe not, but if you were curious about random facts about me, here's 100 to get you started!
1. Grab the book nearest to you, turn to page 18, and find line 4. I’m sat on the couch next to my bookcase, so I closed my eyes and randomly picked a book: “Ian surprised them all by breaking into one last song on his piano, something the Wishbones had never done before. Tom Perrotta - The Wishbones
2. Stretch your left arm out as far as you can, What can you touch? my big blue cup of tea
3. Before you started this survey, what were you doing? Finished with the dinner dishes
4. Without looking, guess what time it is 9:45
5. Now look at the clock. What is the actual time? 9:47
6. With the exception of the computer, what can you hear? my phone playing ‘Somebody Else’ -The 1975
7. When did you last step outside? What were you doing? Said goodbye to a friend and picked up the mail
8. Did you dream last night? yes and it was a vivid one!
9. Do you remember your dreams? Often
10. When did you last laugh? Earlier tonight
11. Do you remember why / at what? Yes, a friend’s ridiculous tv show commentary :)
12. What is on the walls of the room you are in? So many things: gallery wall with my aunt’s art and my favorite prints. Other walls have photos of my mom and I, a map of Atlanta, a calendar [which I just realized I haven’t changed to February!] and my favorite photo of the cats.
13. Seen anything weird lately? Yes. Watched an episode of Santa Clarita Diet today while eating lunch [weird!]
14. What is the last film you saw? 13 Hours on Amazon
15. If you could live anywhere in the world, where would you live? Happy here, but I’d love to try living in a new state or even another country
16. If you became a multi-millionaire overnight, what would you buy? I’d book trips to all sorts of places, and probably buy a home or two in some of my favorite places :)
17. Share something about you that most people don't know: I spend almost my entire work day either singing to music or listening to podcasts on my iPhone. Rarely am I ever in silence!
18. If you could change one thing about the world, regardless of guilt or politics, what would you do? This may sound sappy, but it’s the mood I’m currently in: I’d wish for a greater sense of empathy and understanding of those who are unlike ourselves. I could go further into why, but the whole point of these quizzes are to give short answers, and this one is already getting a bit rambly so…
19. Do you like to dance? Yes! This is probably stems from the years of dance classes I took as a kid :)
20. Would you ever consider living abroad? yes
21. Does your name make any interesting anagrams? my nickname is Jo, so OJ??! Joanne…. Nano EJ? Could be my DJ name…
22. Who made the last incoming call on your phone? a random [probably spam] call from Paterson, NJ
23. What is the last thing you downloaded onto your computer? iPhone photos of furniture…exciting stuff!
24. Last time you swam in a pool? A friend’s birthday party this summer- so AGES ago!
25. Type of music you like most? Is ‘Alternative’ a genre of music still? I love chill music, usually with sappy, slightly depressing, romantic lyrics :)
26. Type of music you dislike most? I used to say it was country, but I’ve grown a bit of a soft spot for some country music. Probably hardcore music with constant screaming. Might have been okay with it when I was younger, but now it gives me a headache.
27. Are you listening to music right now? Yes
28. What color is your bedroom carpet? Gray
29. If you could change something about your home, without worry about expense or mess, what would you do? I would add a screened porch on the back of my house with a fireplace. Don’t worry, I’ve already drawn out the preliminary plans and have figured out the logistics of it. Oh also, a really nice hot tub :) #goals
30. What was the last thing you bought? a ticket to a dance [I can’t even tell you the last time I bought a ticket to a dance!]
31. Have you ever ridden on a motorbike? yes
32. Would you go bungee jumping or sky diving? yes- I’ve done the former, and would do the latter!
33. Do you have a garden? Yes, though it’s not the greenest currently!
34. Do you really know all the words to your national anthem? I think so? Pretty much.
35. What is the first thing you think of when you wake up in the morning? I try to recall the dreams I just had. Usually I wake up right after I’ve had a really vivid dream, and sometimes I'm convinced they were real.
36. If you could eat lunch with one famous person, who would it be? John Krasinski [Can he come as Jim Halpert? :)]
37. Who sent the last text message you received? My friend Katie
38. Which store would you choose to max out your credit card? Anthropologie. I’d buy it all.
39. What time is bed time? Varies greatly, but these days it’s typically sometime between 11:30 and 12:30
40. Have you ever been in a beauty pageant? no
41 .How many tattoos do you have? zero
42. If you don't have any, have you ever thought of getting one? many times
43. What did you do for your last birthday? My roommates from Boston College finally came to visit Atlanta! Had the best weekend :)
44. Watch Star Wars or Star Trek? Star Wars
45. Who was the last person you ate dinner with? My friend Chris
46. Is the glass half empty or half full? half full more often than not
47. What’s the farthest-away place you've been? New Zealand
48. When’s the last time you ate a homegrown tomato? Probably in September. We grow the tiniest cherry tomatoes in the summer
49. Have you ever won a trophy? yes
50. Read on an e-reader, audiobook or paperback? I typically prefer paperback, but more often I’ve got an audiobook on while I’m painting furniture.
51. Do you know how to pump your own gas? Of course!
52. If you could meet any one person (from history or currently alive), who would it be? Jane Austen
53. Have you ever had to wear a uniform to school? I went to a Catholic high school in New York, so knee highs and skirts for years!
54. Do you touch-type? I don’t even know what that is. I officially feel old. :(
55. What’s under your bed? I cleaned it out after an evil roach crawled under there and I couldn’t sleep until I knew it was dead. Don’t worry, I got that sucker.
56. Do you believe in love at first sight? hmm.. I believe in an instant connection with someone. This is a loaded question for me :)
57. Think fast, what do you like right now? Milk. I’m drinking a glass of it right now.
58. Where were you on Valentine's day? I made dinner and played scrabble
59. What time do you get up? between 7 and 8am
60. What was the name of your first pet? Princess [the prettiest Persian cat you’d ever see!]
61. Who is the second to last person to call you? My friend Chris
62. Go to a play or musical? I grew up going to musicals, so I’ve got a soft spot for them :)
63. How are you feeling right now? Super sleepy…didn’t sleep well last night at all!
64. What do you think about the most? What I want to write about, what I can paint next.
65. If you had A Big Win in the Lottery, how long would you wait to tell people? No idea! I’d probably tell my mom immediately, and friends and other family a bit later, once it sank in
66. Who would you tell first? My mom.
67. What is the last movie that you saw at the cinema? Patriots Day
68. Do you sing in the shower? yes
69. What do you do most when you are bored? Listen to music, rearrange the house/studio
70. What do you do for a living? I’m a designer, furniture painter and blogger
71. Do you love your job? yes
72. What did you want to be when you grew up? Writer
73. If you could have any job, what would you want to do/be? I’d want to do what I do now more successfully. And I’d write a book or two :)
74. Which came first the chicken or the egg? The greatest mystery of all.
75. How many keys on your key ring? 4
76. Where would you retire to? Somewhere near the ocean
77. What kind of car do you drive? A big ol’ SUV so I can lug around all my furniture for my business :)
78. What's your best physical feature? people always compliment my hair, so must be that?
79. Have a night out or evening in? Evening in with the odd night or two out :)
80. Drink a glass of Guinness or Fat Tire? Guinness
81. What kind of books do you like to read? Fiction- historical, dystopian, mystery
82. What is your favorite time of the day? Late afternoon
83. Where did you grow up? NYC
84. How far away from your birthplace do you live now? 873 miles [give or take according to Google maps]
85. What are you reading now? A Man Called Ove [was meant to read this for my book club ages ago, but never got to it until now!]
86. Are you a morning person or a night owl? I’m a bit of both, but probably more of a night owl
87. Can you touch your nose with your tongue? nope
88. Can you close your eyes and raise your eyebrows? yes
89. Do you have pets? two dogs and two cats. They are my everything! :)
90. How many rings before you answer the phone? too many. I like to screen calls!
91. What is your best childhood memory? I absolutely loved going to Disney World as a kid. My mom loves Disney as much as I do, so we both had the most fun!
92. What are some of the different jobs that you have had in your life? Librarian, Event Coordinator, Teacher, Wholesale Food Sales and Marketing, Photographer, Cook, Babysitter, Interior Designer, Furniture Painter, Writer, Airbnb Host
93. Any new and exciting things that you would like to share? I can’t say enough how much I love being an Airbnb host. It’s weirdly fulfilling and a fun job to have!
94. What is most important in life? Love
95. What Inspires You? Music, other creatives
96. If you could go anywhere in the world on vacation where would you go? I’d love to go on Safari somewhere in Africa.
97. What are your best characteristics? I’m a good listener, and I love to give my time to my friends [through cooking and company]
98. Is there anything going on this weekend? No official plans yet..probably watching The Walking Dead Sunday night?!
99. Are you a good cook? oh yes ;)
100. Win the lottery or find your perfect job? Perfect job- as much as free money would be wonderful, having a purpose and feeling fulfilled is worth more.